Inspire Massage

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Ch-Ch-Ch-Chia


Researching chia seeds, you find a variety of “amazing” and controversial information; can you say Chia Pets? Before Chia Scooby-Doo, for 5500+ years, Central Americans claimed chia seeds promoted wellness and energy. Cool! In the last few years, researchers have agreed.  Generally speaking, chia seeds counteract symptoms of the American diet: insulin resistance, high blood pressure, low energy, fatty liver, spare tires, irregular digestion, brain fog, systemic inflammation, calcium uptake, dehydration and heart and liver damage.  
I’ve eaten chia seeds on and off for a few years. Because I like simplicity, I substitute chia seeds for breakfast cereal. When I do, I stay alert and focused all day,  wake up energized, stay hydrated, have even digestion, lose weight and recover faster from exercise (or lack thereof). Overall, my body feels good and I’m mellow. So why don’t I eat them all the time? Like everyone, I succumb to holidays, remember bad habits and forget how alive I can really feel. Pleasantly, unlike medication, chia seeds don’t need special care and I can start eating them again anytime. They last up to two years on the counter top (a good thing in my house) because they’re high in anti-oxidants, preventing spoilage.
Without prep work, chia seeds absorb liquid, gel slightly and resemble tapioca pudding. I whisk in almond milk and they magically transform into pudding while I shower. With a light, nutty flavor, they’re good in liquids, cereals, pasta, smoothies, baked goods or straight. They add creaminess and intensify flavors making food seem richer and more delicious without adding many calories. In strenuous times, it’s said Mayans lived off of a handful a day- they called it Runners Seed. High in protein, anti-oxidants, trace minerals and omega 3-s (they preferably replace my fish oil supplement)- I see why.

Blueberry Chia Pudding
1 part Chia Seed (black or white, whole or split)
2 parts Almond, Soy or Regular Milk
Vanilla to Taste
Stevia or honey to Taste
Frozen Blueberries

Pour chia seed into a bowl and add the milk. Whisk together. Let it sit for 5 minutes and whisk again. Let it sit from 15 minutes to an hour (depending on how creamy you like it). Add vanilla, sweetener and frozen blueberries. If you prefer a smoothie, after the chia seed has soaked to your preferred consistency, blend as you would a regular smoothie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home