Inspire Massage

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

What's Love Got To Do With It?

Hello everyone, I hope you're doing well. Today's topic is Love. Actually, one of my favorites. And as we've seen throughout time, a popular topic, because everyone experiences love in one form or another, usually, and we can't live without it.

I spent a delightful evening this weekend, talking about love and romance with a long ago friend I hadn't seen in quite awhile. This friend was sharing with me his perspective on love and romance. He felt that true romantic love required a constant spark of energy. A chemical desire to, no matter what, be with that unique person. I listened closely both because his point of view didn't match my own and because he has had more hands on experience with the bio-chemical aspect of romance. Does there really exist a person or persons for everyone that inspires that constant simmering desire? Or does love mellow and ebb and flow depending on the day and the direction of the wind?

One of the reasons I love hearing new perspectives, is because they let me see the edges of my psychological box. As an emotionally sensitive person, I'm not crazy about emotional risks. Like most people, I'd rather avoid new experiences if they might lead to painful experiences. I've had my share of painful experiences and made peace with most of them. And, in the process, I've narrowed my field of vision. I take risks in my reality because they are no longer emotionally risky for me. Liberating, yes, and also at times a little boring.

So back to love. It's easier and less painful to believe that love ebbs and flows, that everything changes and to keep a mellow point of view about life. It's more graceful. And yet, we all need to break out of the "safe" box every so often to keep life from becoming routine and bland. The smarter we seem to become, the less thrilling life can become. It seems that mystery is an important part of living life. As a favorite spiritual philosopher of mine says, "What would you do with enlightenment? Create a holy business?".

We easily get caught in our own paradigm, our own story of what is real. Even the most "enlightened" viewpoint is still a personal version of life. Maybe I've let my desire to be safe and graceful get in the way of new possibilities and probabilities. If I believe all realities exist, and I do, then why wouldn't there be a romantic love that lasts throughout time? Do I resist the magical and mysterious and shortchange myself? According to my friend, I do.

So maybe I've been enlightened long enough and am ready to be not so smart again. To be surprised and excited, scared and freaked out. I trust myself more, as most people do as they live life, which means I can trust myself to still make decent choices when the chips are down. Or at least to be better at getting away with the choices I do make.

What my friend has done for me is help me realize that maybe magic does exist. It's up to me to stay open to it and enjoy it.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home