Inspire Massage

Friday, September 30, 2011

My Super-Secret Wellness and Enlightenment Tips


Wisconsin Retreat 2011
Courtesy of Van Archiquette
I’ve got a pretty good life. By my own accounts, I’m pretty healthy, my relationships are good, my friendships are rich and I get adventure and new challenges on a regular basis. But there’s something that most people don’t know about me.
I’m lazy and I like to be comfortable. But where is the “nose to the grindstone”? Where is the sheer mental toughness? Nope, that isn’t me. I’ve got terrible will power too. I learned a while back that the easiest thing to do (and I like easy) was to turn my personal likes and dislikes into an asset. So, I turned being lazy and loving comfort into my own personal wellness and relationship guru.
The more I learned about how our body/mind works, the more it makes sense that if I want to feel good and to feel comfortable, I have to make the right choices. Fall is a great motivating time for me because I start to get cold and achy. I’ve learned that the only way I’m going to feel good is to go for a walk, increase my vegetable intake and stimulate my mind. The lousier I feel, the more likely I’ll make healthier choices. Weird, huh?
People also ask me about my relationships. I have a variety of rich relationships, male and female as well as a great spouse. I get to know my clients well and they become a part of my own, personal support system. Now, I’m someone who is an introvert and emotionally sensitive. People wear me out pretty quickly and I spent a good part of my life hiding in bathrooms. However, I’ve discovered that the best way to feel secure, be comfortable and stay relaxed is to have good relationships. It’s less work to get along then it is to always be right.  Much, much easier. A little effort to learn relationship skills and come out of the bathroom means that I don't have to work so hard in other parts of my life. Cool!!
Well, what about my career, my adventures, the freedoms I have?  How did I get those? I had a childhood that taught me that “being perfect” and “always being nice” was exhausting and rarely got me what I wanted; even if I could balance on a ball holding a poodle. Ta-da!! I found that speaking my mind calmly, understanding that emotions are temporary, letting people know how I feel and think and then giving people time and space to adjust was easier than trying to subtly manipulate the people around me. If someone doesn’t want to adjust to the new reality, they will eventually leave- I don’t have to worry about it. Whew- no awkward breakups.
Lastly, my inner peace. I found that it’s much easier to have peace when you make peace with yourself. I regularly take the time to recognize and appreciate ALL aspects of myself. In the long run, it means that I don’t waste energy (remember I’m lazy) fighting myself and getting in my own way. At the end of the day, my biggest secret is…enlightenment and happiness is easier than they ever taught you. Peace and love, Rita.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home