Inspire Massage

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

How To Walk Through Your Walls

If you want to walk through your walls...just keep walking.
Every so often, it's good to take a break and reflect on how far you've come. It can be hard to remember, but usually your friends closest to you will tell you how much you've changed over the years. I used to disagree, after all, I'm still the same person I always was, only now I do things a little differently. That's technically accurate, but not what they're talking about. Many of us were taught to play down our new learnings and experiences, so we wouldn't come across as arrogant and insensitive, even to ourselves.
But just for a moment, let's play a game. Let's pretend we're looking at someone else's life for a minute so we can see ourselves more clearly. Is there something you have achieved or bought or learned or have today that you didn't have 10 years ago? For me, it's my own business. I always dreamed of being my own boss and now I am. I didn't agonize over it, rather, things just came together and it seemed like the next logical decision. I was fired and lacked the self-confidence to find another full time job. It seemed like the perfect time to start my own business because the fear of public rejection, at that moment, was bigger than the fear of quiet failure.
Perhaps being in a relationship again. Were you widowed, divorced, dumped and thought to yourself...I'll be alone forever. Did it happen? You might be single now, but, if you had to, could you make a relationship work? I read an article that said as some men get older, they get nicer to their wives because they depend on them more. They need someone to care for them so become more considerate, softer and flexible. We change and grow out of necessity. If we didn't, it's because we didn't believe it was necessary.
Maybe it's getting to know someone you've admired or reaching a goal or attaining a status. For the most part, your life is working in the background, setting up the experiences and achievements you've wanted. Life is a lot simpler than we think it is, if we give it the time to unfold. Even the most difficult situation works itself out with time, even if it's with your dying breath or after you've passed away. The things we didn't achieve, with time, we usually realize they didn't matter as much to us in the first place.
You're walking through your walls all the time. When you take the time to reflect, you'll see you've already achieved what you once thought was impossible or only dreamed of. If I've learned anything from my bodywork and mentoring practice, it's that we adapt to our new situations. Maybe it's illness, age, conflict or joy. Sometimes with a fight, sometimes effortlessly...but the universe seems to unfold in front of us. So the real question is...are you okay with that?

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home